Major Gifts Officer
Job no: 492538
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Administration – Orangeburg, SC
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is a Development team member responsible for securing financial resources for SC State University. The primary focus is meeting and working with donors and prospects with the significant giving capacity to accomplish their giving objectives through annual giving, and major and planned gifts. The Major Gift Officer will engage in and be responsible for all aspects of the donor development cycle including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment, and stewardship. This position reports directly to the Chief Development Officer/Associate Vice President of Institutional Advancement, under the strategic vision of the Vice President of Institutional Advancement & External Affairs, in collaboration with the Athletic Director, Deans, and University President. To succeed, the position requires extensive travel and includes evening and weekend responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify major gift prospects. Analyze and predict donors’ propensity, capacity, and enthusiasm to give.
- Cultivate and solicit major gift prospects.
- Stewardship of major gift donors. Develop stewardship strategies that continue the major gift relationship for future gifts and planned giving opportunities.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 50-75 qualified relationships, and apply a moves management approach to the portfolio, with a custom cultivation strategy for each donor.
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and major gift donors who fit the strategic university advancement priorities, thereby adding significant capacity in the areas of major gifts, community partners, general scholarship fund Planned Giving, and endowment.
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect an optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to the needs of the donors
- Execute and report on quarterly/annual fundraising plans, donor solicitations, identification, cultivation, campaigns (capital and annual), and stewardship efforts.
- Work collaboratively, under the direction of the Chief Development Officer; and collaborate with the Alumni & Annual Fund Director, Athletic Director, University Deans, President, and staff to accomplish individual, team, and university funding goals.
- Attend and (occasionally) host events for the purposes of acquisition, cultivation, and stewardship for the University.
- Work collaboratively with development and advancement officers. Offer prospect strategy counsel to the president, vice president, and development and advancement staff who are managing other prospects. Be a resource for development/advancement staff, from identifying potential volunteer connections to knowing about meeting and event spaces in key locations.
- Track prospects and donor contacts in the portfolio using organization tools and tracking methods via Raiser’s Edge. Ensure that all donor information entry, storage, and special requests are recorded and accomplished.
- Demonstrated history of securing major gifts over three or more years while working in a growing organization
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend