Law Enforcement Officer IV
Job no: 492467
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Administration – Orangeburg, SC
SC State University’s Campus Police Department located in Orangeburg, SC is currently hiring for a
Law Enforcement Officer IV.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Chief of Campus Police in directing the operation of the Campus Police Department including assuming command of the Campus Police Department and performing duties of the Chief of Campus Police in his/her absence.
- Provide direct supervision for the day-to-day activities of campus police officers, including scheduling and evaluating officers' performance and monitoring and adjusting police/security operations and coverages to ensure effectiveness. Responsible for performance management including preparation and administration of performance appraisals.
- Conduct regular meetings with officers and include other campus security personnel as needed.
- Review and evaluate all police officer reports to ensure accuracy and completeness, and recommend security-related strategies for improvement when deemed appropriate.
- In collaboration with the College Professional Development function, identify schedule, and maintain required and developmental training and certifications for police officers.
- Responsible for effectively planning and scheduling security for College events including direct and indirect oversight of all activities.
- As needed or required, testify in court and at disciplinary hearings.
- Lead, assist, and coordinate emergency response tabletop and actual drills including follow-up assessments and developing actions for improvements.
- Assist with the revision of informational manuals as needed (e.g., Campus Police Department Standard Operating Procedures, Emergency Response Guide).
- Serve on campus committees and panels when requested.
- Prepare and provide incident/accident reports for staff, students, and the general public.
- Respond to after-hours calls and situations as needed.
- Model and maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College and the ideals or principles of law enforcement, including, but not limited to, confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, ethics, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives. Provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein
Minimum Requirements for Entry into Position:
High school diploma. Must be 21 years of age; Must be physically qualified and have no criminal record; Must pass a background investigation; Must have a valid driver’s license; Must complete South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy Certification program within (1) one year of employment.
Preferred Requirements for Entry into Position:
Certified Class I Law Enforcement Officer by the SC Criminal Justice Academy
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend